G’day mate, how r u going?

by Adam Bean on October 27, 2011

All right today I am taking you out on the construction site with me for the day to learn a very important lesson about communication.

You see we all use technical jargon in our businesses that we just assume every understands. The problem is your customers more then likely have no idea what that jargon actually means.

So in the video below I am going to relay to you a funny story  about a little Pommy fella that I met the other day, who told me a story with a very valid point.

The story revolves around when he first came out to Australia and he had absolutely no idea of what ….

“G’day mate how are you going”

Actually meant.

Grab hold of this idea and start to incorporate it into your small business marketing ideas and watch what happens! I have also included an audio at the bottom of this post that reiterates the point of speaking in a language that your customers use daily.

Then what I want you to do is have a good look at all of your small business promotions, (your web site, flyers, business cards etc) and remove all of the jargon. Listen carefully to the words your customers use when you talk with them, and replace your jargon with their’s.

This is the audio titled a middy,  pot, or schooner, that points out how even something as simple as a glass of beer, can have a different name depending on which state of Australia you are in!

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Vanessa Bushell October 27, 2011 at 9:49 am

Hi Adam, thanks for this blog… I find your advice very helpful!!! I also like your use of video. I know I have to be very careful of using jargon as it’s so easy for me to do!!! Simple is good!

Kind regards
Vanessa

@KrishnaEverson October 27, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Where’s ya beanie, beanie? Great post. Cut the jargon, work with what you’ve got! It doesn’t get much easier than that really. Cheers! Krishna

David Stevens October 28, 2011 at 4:02 am

Hi Beanie,
Great yarn, strong message.
All the best
David

neroli October 28, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hey Adam 😉 Great use of video in the article. I think it’s always worth making them with whatever you’ve got and just playing around with them. My friend who trains people in making videos told me authenticity is what matters most, & as long as there’s decent enough sound, the picture quality doesn’t matter as much. Hope you have fun with the video making, looking good so far 😉 cheers, neroli

Adam Bean October 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Hey Krishna, this one was filmed before it got cold, so the Beanie was in the cupboard! Lol The Kiss system really does work, we just need a reminder to use it sometimes!
Cheers Beanie

Adam Bean October 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Cheers Beanie

Adam Bean October 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Hey Vanessa

We are all guilty of jargon from time to time, the key is to make sure that it is the same jargon the people we are talking to use.

Cheers Beanie

Adam Bean October 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Hey David

Stories are a great way to get a message across, luckily for me that is a strength. Cheers for stopping by, your support is always much appreciated.

Cheers Beanie

Adam Bean October 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Hey neroli

Video is my favourite content creating tool, the connection you can make with video is fantastic. You are spot on about authenticity and audio are the keys. People will forgive poor quality picture (If the message is good) but poor audio will drive them nuts!

Cheers Beanie

Lisa Murray October 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thanks Adam…a useful reminder that we forget what we know… when it is easy for us we tend to assume everyone knows what we know.

I had a funny experience of this recently when coaching a team from a plastering company. Someone raised the idea of communicating by using the ‘cloud’ – much discussion ensued and by the end of the session everyone knew what the cloud was and what the value could be in using it… but the blank faces in the beginning were a dead giveaway that we were well into jargon territory!!

Annie Infinite October 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Good stuff Adam, I always say “Meet them where THEY are” in other words find the place where you and your business can meet your market right where they are in their life, using their words and their culture (as in personal likes and day to day life) speaking their language – when you do this something wonderful also occurs – you get a feel for what your market wants and needs from you and are able to offer better products and services to meet their needs.

Adam Bean October 29, 2011 at 5:43 am

Hey Annie, love that quote…. “Meet them where they are” you definitely get a feel for your market by speaking their lingo!

Adam Bean October 29, 2011 at 6:22 am

Hey Lisa

It is very easy to assume everyone knows what we know, but…. they don’t! When we realize this and start to create effective messages that speak to them in their language, then we are well on the way to success! BTW you have to write a post explaining the “Cloud” I am intrigued!

Cheers Beanie