How the Super Butcher is carving them up with Social Media

by Adam Bean on April 3, 2012

I was at a Chamber of Commerce get together the other night.

Now I get excellent results when I go to these events for a very specific reason…

I shut up and I listen more than I speak! Earth shattering I know, but you know me I don’t do complicated!

Anyhow I am talking to this guy that owns an Australia post business, he says to me what do you do. So I tell him I use Facebook, You Tube, WordPress and smart phone apps etc to generate leads and sales. He asks me to tell him how I would go about promoting his business vis Social Media? So I tell him exactly what I would do.

I would look at your website because most are completely ineffective and not mobile formatted, I would use Facebook, email marketing etc. He says to me that sound a lot like what a local butcher that I know does. He is called the Super Butcher.
He then goes on to tell me how he runs his email campaign by educating his market telling stories and making offers.

Mmm interesting says the Elephant to the Hippopotamus I think to myself, I need to see what this guy is doing. So I google him and head to his site.

Straight away a pop up comes up, subscribe to my newsletter I will contact you three times a week with all the best deals. Very clever! I notice he is on Facebook, so I have to check this out of course. I mean I don’t think I could think of a more boring business to put on Facebook.

How the hell is he going to spin this I am thinking. So I get there I am expecting to see 100 or so Likers at best.
Think again Beanie!

Check out his likers below….

Yes you did read it right…

16694 Likers!!

I actually went back for a look tonight just 24 hours later and he now has….  16706 Likers! Now I know exactly what you are thinking and you are right. You are thinking…

Beanie you always tell us that Quality beats Quantity of likers! And you are 100% right. These are Quality Likers just in a huge Quantity, let me explain how I know.

Number one I checked out his email marketing first. This guys deliveries value in all his emails! Anyone that is getting their email marketing that right, could not possible be getting Facebook Marketing completely wrong!

There are basic marketing principles that work on all marketing mediums, and he has these principles absolutely nailed.

Second thing I can tell if you know how to use your Facebook Business Page effectively to make sales, in about one minute. How can I do that ? By reading your feed,. It never lies.

The Super Butcher’s page is hopping with activity, and again he is delivering posts of great value.

So this is what I want you to do…

Head over and Like his Facebook Page and start looking at what he is doing, then I want you to come back and post the number one thing that you learnt form his page that you can start using immediately to improve your Facebook Business Page. By sharing what you found we can all benefit and come up with an amazing list of ideas that we can all use to grow our businesses via Facebook.

Looking forward to reading your learnings from the Super Butcher.

Cheers Beanie, The Social Tradie

The video below explains why  you need to get involved with your local Chamber of Commerce as well!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

@KrishnaEverson April 3, 2012 at 10:24 am

Super Butcher is PURE POETRY! I’m beginning to thing if you mix any business with food interaction, you are on a winner! I wonder what his KEY strategy was to get 16,000 likes, did he tell you? That’s a lot, by any stretch of the imagination!

Adam Bean April 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hey Krishna
He is killing it literally! Lol I haven’t found out how he did it yet, but I intend to. He really deliveries quality though and that has to play a big hand. This is the problem for other local butchers now though… He is the expert on meat now. To try and build an online presence to compete with him is going to literally cost Thousands of dollars! No business can afford to put off waiting to get started in Social Media, in case their competition does something like this. As Ed Dale says….

“You don’t need to worry about market leadership in your market until your competition does it, then you are toast” All other butchers on the Coast are now toast and are going to have a really hard time competing!

Cheers Beanie

@KrishnaEverson April 5, 2012 at 6:29 am

I know of another butcher on the coast who has a different approach, that could really afford to check this out! Thanks for bringing it to our attention :))

Adam Bean April 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

I would hate to be the one trying to compete with him! Actually now I wouldn’t, I love a challenge!You don’t get any fitter playing against second graders. He has a damn big run up on any competition though!

Madonna April 6, 2012 at 3:08 am

Thanks for that Adam. That has given me an idea. Thinking outside the square is really the way to go.

Who would have thought a butcher could be so savvy?

Madonna

Annie Infinite April 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I would bet one of the biggest factors in his success is his value for money promotions on his products! We all know meat is getting so expensive – and here he is offering regular (3x weekly) specials AND his amazing “straight off the container” sales – once he has hooked them people are not going to go anywhere else! and that’s just for a start there are also his great tips etc.. in other words this guy has understood the need for an integrated marketing strategy that builds his social media community for him – these people know he has got the good and so he has won their loyalty and of course their advocacy as they share the deals they are getting with their friends 🙂

Adam Bean April 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Spot on Annie, I love the way he hasn’t just relied on Facebook and is building his email list. As much as we love Facebook, you can’t rely on it solely as you don’t own it. He has definitely listened to his market and delivered what they wanted. One very clever butcher.

Adam Bean April 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm

A very clever butcher for sure Madonna. The brilliance is that he has also kept it simple, and really leveraged available resources. Imagine the enormous costs of reaching the same audience continually with TV or Radio! He does it all now with an email or a Facebook status update!

Cheers Beanie

Paul Barrs April 9, 2012 at 12:43 am

Great share Adam,

I particularly like the way that he interacts with his customers. There”s a key there for sure.

I’d also like to see what he does “in-store”. Does he offer each customer a small printed ‘flyer’ with his Facebook info. Does he offer something special to them for ‘liking’. This would make an interesting case study.

Paul

Adam Bean April 10, 2012 at 7:36 am

Hey Paul

Great idea for a case study. I will head there with my trusty iPhone this week and find out how it all works. Cheers for stopping by, commenting and for dropping the great idea of checking his shop out.

Beanie